I design a layout for a particular week, which usually has 2 parts: front and back half of the week, which are set up in layers in Photoshop, and for client review must be submitted as 2 jpegs. Sears and Kmart are switching their site layouts to "liquid" so for some of my weeks I have a liquid and a non liquid version, which inside that has the 2 parts to its week, and additionally the liquid layouts will have a sort of rotating slide show so I have further separate layouts for each of the 4 slides that will rotate out in the animation (later done by the coders). On top of that, I work on about 2-3 weeks at once actively, which need jpegs and pdfs created for client review.
So in conclusion: I design and revise a week in 2 halves as well as in a liquid and non liquid format (until the non is no longer in use), and 4 slides for the liquid format; each half of the week and each slide needs a jpeg and and each half of the week and each slide needs a pdf. This process gets repeated after revisions are made and for revisions after the week goes live on kmart.com (which are live site changes). All these tasks are multiplied by the 2-3 weeks I work on simultaneously, and are primary to the other tasks I sometimes take, such as Sears affiliates banners (which usually come in groups of 2 or groups of like 15, usually similar layouts, but different pixel sizes, and generally have a ton of text and images they want crammed into a 120x90 pixel box). Having a hard time visualizing "what I do" ? Here's a visual aid:

(you might have to click to see up close, if you're even that curious)Each of those windows has a second layout in the hidden Photoshop layers for the other half of that week. Amongst the windows shown is March week 2-5. The window of files in the background is a good view of the projects I work on during a week. And yes, I work on 2 screens because 1 isn't enough for all that I need to see! (Sometimes I think I need 3). Thank goodness for CS4's ability to do Photoshop windows in tabs contained in just 1 window. I sometimes work that way too, but it helps me to see everything at once still.
So when you ask me, "What do you do at your job?" and I answer with this, either your head will be spinning or you'll be more engaged mentally than if I just answered, "Design stuff."
HAH! story of my life. just for Sears.
ReplyDeleteenough said.
Therefore what I do at work would be taking calls or responding to emails from people who have entered orders incorrectly, and if they completed them in error when the field work wasn't done, I have to push peripheral tasks to complete, then key a fake disconnect, rekey the work order and push tasks to the proper point, provision phone lines and make sure they're IDL in the switch, push orders to complete that don't complete themselves, release numbers stuck in NIMS for people who need to enter them on work orders, and enter install work orders for MDU techs in the field, with an occasional transfer correction from incorrect addresses, or an occasional call from a customer who needs to go to another department.
ReplyDeleteOr I guess I could just say "I fix stuff".